Paying your rent matters - if you don't pay, you can't stay

You have responsibility for paying your rent, whether you pay the rent yourself or have payments made on your behalf via housing benefit.

Direct Debit - the easy way to pay your rent

Direct Debit takes the hassle out of paying your rent - you'll never have to wait and never pay late.

With Direct Debit, your rent payment automatically comes out of your bank or building society account. It's flexible too - you can choose from weekly or fortnightly payments, or monthly on the 1st, 12th, 19th or 26th of the month.

To start paying your rent by Direct Debit, download and complete our Housing rent Direct Debit mandate and post it to: Rent Direct Debit Mandate, Rugby Borough Council, Town Hall, Evreux Way, Rugby, CV21 2RR.

Other ways to pay your rent

  • arrange a standing order payment with your bank
  • at the Post Office with your rent payment card
  • any outlet displaying the Pay Zone facility logo (visit the Pay Zone website for locations)
  • by cheque at the Town Hall or by post (remember to write your name, address and 16 digit rent account reference on the back)
  • online via the council's website
  • by debit card over the phone 24 hours a day, seven days a week on (01788) 533463
  • by debit card over the phone between 9am and 5pm, Monday to Friday, on (01788) 533777.

Having problems paying your rent?

Your rent's your most important household bill.

We know many of our customers live on low incomes or benefits, so we understand the importance of supporting your to pay your rent and manage your money.

What if I miss a rent payment?

Contact us immediately. If you're struggling to pay, we're here to help. 

If you cannot pay all the rent you owe, we can look at your finances with you and agree a regular amount you can pay to bring your rent payments back up to date.

We can also signpost you to places where you can get confidential help and advice about money and debt.

Don't borrow money to pay your rent and other debts - come and see us.

When we reach an agreement with you, it's vital you stick to it. If you break the agreement and your arrears increase, you risk losing your home.

What happens if I fall behind with my rent?

We adopt a fair but firm approach to customers with rent arrears.

It's a condition of your tenancy agreement to pay your rent regularly and in full. Failure to do so means you're in breach of your tenancy agreement and we'll take action to collect the rent arrears.

If you contact us and reach an agreement over paying your arrears, we'll take court action if you break the agreement.

Notice of Possession

The legal process starts with the council serving you with a Notice of Seeking Possession. The notice states the council's intention to take you to court if you fail to pay your rent arrears in full or make satisfactory arrangements to pay the arrears within 28 days.

If you receive a Notice of Seeking Possession contact us immediately using the details below.

A notice remains valid for a year and we can apply to the county court for a hearing at any time during this period unless you clear your rent arrears in full.

Possession Order

If your case goes to court it's vital you attend the hearing to explain why you have not paid your rent. The court can issue the council with a Possession Order, allowing us to evict you. The order may be suspended to allow you stay in your home while paying your rent arrears according to terms set by the court.

Eviction Warrant

If you fail to keep to the terms set by the court, the council can apply for an Eviction Warrant and request the court bailiff to take possession of your home.

In these circumstances, Rugby Borough Council will not provide you with another home.

If we take you to court, the costs will be added to your rent arrears. So if you're struggling to pay your rent, contact us immediately.



What to do if your financial circumstances change

If you receive housing benefit and your financial circumstances change, your housing benefit may be reduced or increased.

If your financial circumstances change, you must contact our benefits team immediately on (01788) 533433 or email

It can take time to adjust your housing benefit claim, which can result in you receiving benefit you're not entitled to.

You'll have to repay any overpayment in housing benefit in full. If you have been overpaid, you'll receive a letter stating the amount owed and how to repay it.

Universal Credit - are you ready?

Universal Credit has launched in Rugby. It's a new single benefit payment which currently only applies to newly unemployed single people, but will be extended to couples and families later this year.

Universal Credit replaces a number of benefits, including housing benefit. When you receive Universal Credit, you'll need to pay your rent out of single monthly benefit payment.

Need help?

If you're concerned about the switch to Universal Credit, we're here to help.

We can offer support and advice on:

  • preparing for and coping with Universal Credit
  • budgeting
  • opening a bank account and setting up a Direct Debit

Rent free weeks 2024-2025

Tenants up to date with rent payments enjoy the following rent free weeks during 2024-2025:

  • 1 April 2024
  • 26 August 2024
  • 23 December 2024
  • 31 December 2024
  • 31 March 2025

Please note - tenants in arrears must carry on paying rent during the above weeks.

Service charges

Service charges cover the cost of additional services received by tenants living in flats or sheltered/supported housing.

Services include cleaning and lighting of communal areas.

Your tenancy conditions set out the service charges which you need to pay. If you're having problems paying your service charges, contact us using the details below.

The council reviews service charges on an annual basis. You'll receive a minimum of 28 days notice of an increase to service charges.